How to Repair Corrupt Database Exchange 2016? Get the Solution
Summary: Today, in this article we will guide users and provide solution to repair corrupt database Exchange 2016 via Eseutil utility or the advance method described in this write-up which will help users to repair offline/dismounted corrupted Exchange 2016 database file in a hassle freeway.
The Exchange Database is the essential party of Microsoft Exchange Server as it stores various mailboxes and data items such as: calendars, mails, contacts, notes, tasks, journals, etc. It is the main repository of server & vulnerable to corruption.
Many IT companies and other industry verticals use the Exchange Server because it is one of the most popular main server which is extensively used around the world. It is important to keep the Exchange database safe and secure as we have mentioned in the above section that it is vulnerable to corruption. When any mailbox database gets corrupted or damaged then users won’t be able to access the database. This would disrupt the workflow and users cannot send or receive the mails. In addition to this, there are chances of Exchange data loss.
It is important to repair corrupt Exchange database if one didn’t repair the EDB then they have to face its repercussion such as:
- Face the heavy financial loss
- Clients or users start losing their faith
- Have to face the legal penalties or charges
- The company growth and its reputation will start decreasing
- In worst situation, there are chance that may run out of business
These are some of the major consequences that they have to go through. That’s why it is important to repair Exchange 2016 database from corruption. Before proceeding towards the solution let’s know how Exchange database becomes corrupted.
Reason Behind Exchange Database Corruption
- Improper Exchange Server shutdown
- Human error
- Power Outage
- Hardware and software failure
- Jet engine error
- Dirty Shutdown issue
- Missing Database Objects
- Disk failure and user error, etc.
Manual Solution to Repair Corrupt Database Exchange 2016
Exchange administrator or users can use the Eseutil and Isinteg utility to repair the inaccessible or corrupt Exchange database file. It is the in-built tool provided by Microsoft. Users use it to repair the database, perform defragmentation, & check the integrity of the lost and damaged Exchange data. The Isinteg utility is used after the Eseutil tool to fix and test the condition.
This tool works with the Exchange database file (.edb), Extensible Storage Engine (ESE), Streaming Media File (.stm), and log file.
You can use the eseutil /p cmdlet that help users to repair the data & make it accessible to the users. This command removes corruption from the file & replace all the corrupted Exchanged data with the white space.
- First, login with the MS Exchange Administrator
- Then, create the backup of existing or current Exchange database file
- Use the Microsoft Exchange Server to dismount the entire EDB
- Move the unnecessary files as well as folders & free up the disk space as well
- Require large amount of storage space. That must be 20% of the database size
- After that, to test the hard drive for the bad sectors use the CHKDSK utility (Check Disk)
Use Eseutil Command to Repair Corrupt Database Exchange 2016
1. Execute the Eseutil cmdlet given below to repair the corrupted and damaged Exchange database.
eseutil /p “enter the database storage file loaction\Database_Name.edb”
After, executing the cmdlet a warning dialogue box will appear. Then, to move forward click on the OK button.
2. Then, use the command given below to perform defragmentation of the Exchange database and rebuild it’s indexes. This cmdlet also removes the empty pages in the Exchange database and rebuild its indicies.
eseutil /d “enter the database storage file loaction\Database_Name.edb”
3. Use the cmdlet mentioned below to fix the logical corruption & repair the Exchange database file at the application level.
isinteg -s (Server) -fix -test alltests
4. After that, select the recovered Exchange database from the Microsoft Exchange Server directory
5. Then, again execute the eseutil.exe cmdlet until there is no more threat or corruption left
6. After that, to check the reliability of the repaired Exchange database use the eseutil /g cmdlet.
7. Then, when the database is repaired mount the Exchange database by using the admin utilities of the Microsoft Exchange Server
Limitation Of Manual Solution
- Time consuming solution & it needs ample amount of storage space
- It is necessary to have in-depth knowledge, skills, & hands-on experience
- There is a risk of data loss & it is not possible to predict how much data is lost
Note: Most of the users are new to Microsoft Exchange Server environment and it is difficult for them to understand the manual method because it needs technical skills, knowledge and expertise to understand the solution at. To, avoid the technicality and complexity of this solution users can use the automated method described in the below section which easily repair the offline/dismounted Exchange database in a simplified way without using any command.
Repair Corrupt Database Exchange Using Professional Tool
Users can use the SysTools EDB File Recovery Tool which is designed and developed with an advanced algorithm that is used by many IT professional, Exchange and novice users to recovers and repair the corrupted dismounted / offline Exchange database in a hassle freeway. It provides Quick and Advance scanning mode which easily recovers and repair the minimal and major corrupted Exchange database.
To recover the EDB file from minimal corruption select the Quick scan mode and to recover highly corrupted .edb file click on advance scan. After recovery, users can export the recovered Exchange database mailboxes to the Live Exchange Server 2016 / 2013 / 2010 / 2007 / 2003 mailboxes, Office 365, and multiple file formats.
Many technical and non-technical users use this utility as it provides an interactive graphical user interface which makes the users work a lot easier and save their time as well as efforts. It creates an export report which save the fail and success count of exported Exchange database mailbox data.
Notable Features Of Automated Solution
- It support the offline Exchange Database & Streaming Media File
- Preview the offline Exchange EDB mailbox data items before conversion
- Keep metadata intact & preserve actual folder hierarchy
- Provide category option export the selected Exchange mailbox items
- Remove email encryption (OpenPGP & SMIME) from EDB mailboxes in batch
- Date filter option export the Exchange mailbox data within specified date range
- Suitable with all Exchange Server (2019, 2016, 2013, 2010) & MS Outlook (2003 – 2019), and Windows OS version
Workings Steps to Recover Corrupt Exchange 2016 Database
Step1: Download & Run the automated wizard in your local system.
Step2: Select the add file button to load offline corrupted Exchange 2016 .edb file
Step3: Select the advance scanning mode >> Click on the add button
Step4: Preview the recovered offline Exchange 2016 EDB file >> Click on the export button
Step5: Select the Exchange database mailboxes and export it to the desired export option.
Bringing It All Together
In this article, we have provide the completed information to repair corrupt database Exchange 2016 by using the solution provided in this write-up. If users have certain technical knowledge, skills, and hands-on experience then they can easily use the manual solution to repair database but this method has its own downsides.
If you want to avoid all the difficulty of this method then in that case you can use the advance solution mentioned in the above section which easily recover corrupted Exchange Server mailboxes and EDB file in a simplified manner without any hassle. Rest, depending on the users preference users can select the solution and repair Exchange 2016 database.