Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 is an advanced version of the Exchange environment, providing impressive features and benefits to the users. However, there are chances that the EDB(Exchange Database) file gets corrupted or damaged. However, when the users, i.e., the Exchange Administrators face a similar kind of situation, it is important to backup and restore the Exchange 2010 mailbox database. The Windows server backup process is not so reliable due to its multiple steps and requires adequate technical knowledge as well. To overcome this, we have come up with Exchange Recovery tool which is an impeccable software to backup the Exchange mailbox database and restore to multiple file formats. So, Read on and follow the steps to backup and restore an Exchange 2010 mailbox database.
Backup Exchange Mailbox Database Using Exchange Recovery Software
SysTools has designed an awesome utility, Exchange Recovery tool, an innovative software which swiftly creates the backup of the EDB file in different file formats such as PST, PDF, MSG, EML, HTML and MBOX. Moreover, one can also recover the corrupted EDB file of the Exchange Server. To backup the mailbox item, follow the below listed steps in sequence
- To Backup Exchange 2010 Database mailbox, first need to download the software from above button and install with complete Pre-requiste to continue backup process. Provide the EDB File, you want to take backup in different file format.
- Download the tool and run it into your computer to backup Exchange 2010 mailbox database.
- Now, you have to input your dismounted EDB files to the utility.
- For that, click on the “Add File” option provided in the top-left corner of the software’s user interface.
- If you know the location of EDB file, then go for the “Select File” option otherwise choose “Search File” and the tool will automatically detect your EDB file from the local drives of your personal computer. If you opt for “Search File” option, another 2 option will appear:
Search All Drive: searches dismounted EDB from all the drives of the computer
Search Selected Drive: If you are using this option, you can manually set the drive in which you want to search EDB file
- The next option is to scan the file. The software provides 2 options for scanning: Quick and Advance. If your file is highly corrupted then go for the Advance scan option otherwise select the former one.
- Once the scanning process is completed, the admin can check the preview of the each emails along with their attachments using the various preview options
- Finally, you have to click on the “Export” shown in the image below. You can export all the mailbox items such as emails, contacts, etc from the Microsoft Exchange Server
Note: This recovery tool allows to export all the data items such as emails, contacts, calendar, etc into PST and MBOX file format. It is helpful for PST and MBOX supporting email applications to create the backup and restore of the Exchange mailbox database such as Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. While other file formats such as PDF, MSG, EML, HTML allows to export only the email data item from the EDB file.
- After selecting the required file format, click Browse to save the backup file in the desired format and click on the Export button.
Restore Exchange Mailbox Database Using Exchange Recovery Software
SysTools Exchange Recovery tool also allows to import the EDB file to different email applications such as Live Exchange Server and Office 365. This approach makes easy for the users who need to export the EDB file to Outlook 365 profile or in the Live Exchange Server environment. This tool is an immediate solution to backup and restore Exchange 2010 mailbox database.
- Export to Live Exchange Server
- Export to Office 365
Steps to Export EDB File to Live Exchange Server Environment
- Now to add the EDB file, follow the above initial three steps i.e., upto Export process
- Click Export and select the radio button corresponding to LIVE EXCHANGE option
- Check Use Admin Credentials option and provide the credentials in the required fields
- Now, the software prompts to add Exchange Mailbox name. Similarly, provide the User credential to import the EDB file
- Once the tool validates the entered mailbox, click on the Export button
Steps to Export EDB File to Microsoft Office 365 Account
- Similar to Live Exchange Server, follow the initial three steps from the above-mentioned guide till Export process
- Then, click “Export” and select the radio button corresponding to Office 365 option
- There are two options to export i.e., With Impersonation and Without Impersonation
- Then, provide the Admin credentials followed by User credentials to backup and restore Exchange mailbox database
- After that, click on the Export button to begin the export process
- Finally, all the exported data can be seen at the provided destination mailbox
Note: For complete step-wise guide to backup and restore the Exchange 2010 mailbox database, please visit the following site,
Few Closing Thoughts
Regardless of the different backup strategies used, the Exchange Administrator often finds it different in creating the backup of the EDB file. Therefore, to wisely create the backup and restore of the Exchange 2010 mailbox database, it is advised to use the automated tool as discussed above. The tool is a highly-demanding software by the users which is widely used across the globe. Here, we have discussed the steps which one can easily follow to create the backup of the Exchange mailbox database.