Solving Exchange search is a long and hectic job. Moreover in the case when you are receiving a lot of emails there might be a possibility that Exchange search not working. This issue generally arises in following cases:
These are some common scenarios which people face with their exchange search engines. Solving these issues can be done easily with a manual method to fix exchange search problem when Exchange search not working.
Note: Before performing this task to troubleshoot exchange 2010 search index issue makes sure you provide following permissions to recipients.
These permissions are highly necessary before performing this task. If you are admin and want to see which permission is assigned to you. You can refer Run “Get-ManagementRoleAssignment” cmdlet to see all the permissions assigned to you. These permissions are as follows.
1. Permisssion to Mailbox server
2. Permisssion of Calander and sharing
3. Permisssion to configure resource mailbox configuration
4. Permisssion to Mailbox database
5. Permission to recipient provisions
6. Permission to move and migrate mails mails
Following are the steps through which you can resolve Exchange Search Index Issues & fix Exchange search not working problem:
1. Check the status Microsoft exchange search.
2. Check the configuration of the database.
3. Check crawl state of a mailbox database.
4. Check Indexing Health of Database
To Diagnose Exchange Search Issues first, check indexing health of database copy run the following command in Microsoft Exchange Power Shell.
5. Test-ExchangeSearch for Specific Mailbox
If the mailbox is crawled, Then run Test-ExchangeSearch cmdlet in Microsoft Exchange Power shell. This command give you details of specific mailboxes.
6. Check for Event Log
In above command, result checks for event log and search related error messages when Exchange search not working. Check status result related to MSExchangeFastSearch and MSExchangeS.
7. MSExchange Search Restart Procedure
8. Reseeding the Index Catalog
To reseed the index catalog following commands need to be performed.
9. Check catalog corrupt issues
10. Reseed Index content
This is a procedure to reseed the index catalog. If you have a copy of database this command will reseed the index content and create a copy of it.
11. Reseed specific source index content
If there is a specific source you want to access then write the shell command given below:
12. Creating another copy of database
Note: If the value changed into healthy then your search issue has been resolved.
Above article describes that how you can Diagnose Exchange Search Issues when Exchange search not working. This issue arose due to large no of Emails. We saw how to use Shell command to repair MS search engine. Using various command line for PowerShell given above, we can repair Microsoft search results. Also, search engine errors and faults can be found using the same commands.